Friday, October 9, 2009

Excerpt from Assignment #2

For assignment #2, I reviewed the February 2008 National Geographic Magazine article “The Black Pharaohs”, written by Robert Draper. Incidentally, I didn't know it was about Nubian (African) rulers when I first picked it out (I guess I thought "black" was referring to some kind of dark religious practice or something). Anyway, one of my favorite parts about the article was its artwork and photography. Here's what I had to say about these images in my paper:
First of all, the article is supplemented with an excellent collection of artistically pleasing artwork and photography. Most of these images utilize bright, high-contrast colors, in addition to tight framing and low camera angles, in order to give their subjects a commanding, noteworthy presence. Of particular note is the inclusion of two paintings by artist Gregory Manchess, each a conceptual snapshot of a scene that might have occurred during the black pharaohs’ rule. Manchess’s artwork employs several successful techniques for capturing his viewer’s attention, including a focus on dynamic action and atmosphere, complex background detail, and a subtle interaction between the painted characters and the observer.
(Battle of King Piye. Yes, he was black, and yes, you can totally see up that one guy's "skirt".)

There was one picture, however, that kind of stood out from the rest. I didn't address it in my paper; maybe I should have.

(Your stereotypical, down-and-dirty, thrill-seeking archaeologist, hehe.)

Well, maybe he's not too stereotypical (maybe archaeologists are always sweaty and hunched over), but what's with the locals walking around in the background? This reminds me of Gero and Root's observation - "Readers [of National Geographic] are also bombarded with photographic images of 'the Other', the non-American, often manipulated to maximize contrast with American lives and values." Now, maybe these guys just happened to walk into the shot, or maybe the photographer was trying to get a different point across. Still, there is a "contrast."

No comments:

Post a Comment