Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What I have so far...

Well, my time is up, folks. Today is the last day to show my progress and I need to catch my train, so here goes.

Based on collaboration with Maria and Anne, I've re-constructed what an upper middle-class Incan woman what have worn (most of it, anyway) using Maya and a starting model that I bought:

As you can see, I was not able to finish her sandals or her shawl. I spent hours trying to figure out how to model a shawl in Maya (using nCloth and without). Things kept going wrong (Maya crashing, the cloth simulation exploding, etc, etc). Eventually, I had to stop working on her and begin creating the male and female models for the ritual group. Since there were going to be so many of them, I had to keep their geometry simple (even more simple than my lady!). Here they are (I hope that the ritual group will be able to use them successfully. Last I checked, Pengfei had the lady walking around with CMU mocap data just fine.) I know they look a bit angry...I had to go back to the original tall-forehead version in order to keep things simple. Alas, shawls were not an option for these guys, and I know that the women didn't wear sleeves (according to Anne, anyway), but due to time and geometry constraints, I took a Poma illustration --> 3d model approach, which consisted of looking at Poma's simplified illustrations and adding colors to things based on what Anne told me about class hierarchy and how it corresponds to color. I even took a stab at making silver plated earrings for the man.
I haven't had a chance to look at the final ritual simulation - I hope it looks okay! One problem that I did experience with these other models is "wandering" eye textures. If I didn't delete non-deformer history before binding them to their skeletons, their eyes would go crazy! All in all, I actually came away from this project feeling like I learned a lot (and I'm glad that I got to dress and animate some virtual people of the past, which was actually a goal of mine at the beginning of the semester).

I will try to work on making a shawl for the detailed lady over the next couple days. If it doesn't work, then I'll throw in the towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment